SERVICE SPOTLIGHT St. Matthew Catholic Church Prison Ministry For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me. Mathew 25:35-36
1. Card Writer - Changed Choices Encouragement is so important to our clients, who may lack any outside support and often feel forgotten. It means so much when they receive a card or note from someone they do not even know. A card writer simply sends a card or note each month to the dozen women who are most in need of encouragement at that time. An updated list is sent to our card writers monthly.
2. Pen Pals - Changed Choices The relationship of a pen pal can make a tremendous difference in the development of the client as she deals with the reality of incarceration and her own past issues. It is often easier to write about things than to speak of them. A pen pal who faithfully speaks into the life of a client over time can become a role model and trusted mentor. This type of connection is critical to success in reentry.
3. Mentors - Changed Choices, Thursday afternoon visits to Mecklenburg Jail Mentoring is the foundation for the success of the Changed Choices program. We have seen that having even one healthy role model who truly cares can make a tremendous difference in the life of one of our women. - COOOOL MENTORING – 16-17 females - MENTORING – 17+ females
- MUST COMPLETE THE MECKLENBURG JAIL TRAINING COURSE (date announced soon - mid month)
4. EKWIP (Empowering Kids With Incarcerated Parents) Support Group Assistant- Center for Community Transitions, CMS schools -EKWIP is a support group for the children of incarcerated parents. I assisted one of these groups last year at Ashley Park School. Many of these children are struggling with school work and behavior due to their stressful life situations. This group helps them realize they are not alone!!